What you'll need:
800g of plain flour
60ml of milk or 1 egg & 40ml of milk
160g of granulated sugar (ground finely in a dry mill)
100g of Margarine
1.5 tsp of nutmeg
Vegetable/ Sunflower oil (for frying)
What to do:
1. Mix the sugar and milk (and egg if using) together and leave to soak. (Original recipe I used said without egg, I used egg and milk by second attempt and it came out crunchy still!)
(egg, milk and sugar) (milk and sugar)
2. In another bowl, mix the flour and ground nutmeg.
3. Then rub in the butter with your fingers until the flour is smooth and there are no lumps.
4. Add the sugar/milk mixture to the flour and mix until it forms a smooth dough. The dough will be a bit hard/ stiff. Do not add more liquid no matter how tempted you are, maybe just a few drops to ensure the dough forms if it still seems crumbly.
5. Roll out the dough gently using a rolling pin until it is flat.
6. Cut the dough into sizes as you desire.
7. Line a colander with newspaper. Fry in hot oil and drain in the colander.
Leave it to cool, store in an airtight container and enjoy at your leisure!